Thursday, May 22, 2008

Our Final Trip to Johns Hopkins Hospital

Today we went to Johns Hopkins Hospital for an evaluation of Sally's cancer. In the morning we had blood work, and CT scans of Sallys chest, abdomen and pelvis. After completing these tests we, (Sally, I and our 4 children), went to visit Charles and Mamie Graves. ( Mamie had open heart surgery last week, and is in the hospital rehab.) Our visit was an inspiration to all of us as Sally and Mamie shared their common experiences together and the encouragement each has been to the other.

At 1:30 we met with Dr Rudin to go over the test results. Dr Rudin began by telling us that the cancer was spreading and that further treatment was not possible. Sally replied "Good, I want to go HOME!" As the doctor and I tried to discuss continuing medication to assist Sally in terms of quality of life, she repeated, " I want to go HOME!" Finally when she saw that she wasn't being heard, she said to the doctor, "Doctor, when God says that he wants me to come HOME, I don't believe that he would be happy if I replied that I want to spend my time in some hospital." I said, "I want to go HOME! That is my choice.. Some of my children may not feel as I do, and they may feel free to make their wishes known, but THAT IS MY CHOICE." After a moment of silence, each of our children said that they agreed with Sally's choice. With that said, we began our journey back to our home to spend our final days awaiting Sally's call HOME.

Sally rested peacefully as we drove home. She went to bed for about an hour then asked me if she could get up. As I peeled an orange, we visited together. At one point in our conversation, she asked me, " Are you ready to help me get out of here?" I replied, " I don't understand?" She said, "Yes, you do know what I mean. I have been asking you this question for a few weeks now, and you haven't answered me." I assured her that I was ready and prepared to help her complete the final steps of her journey.

Sally and I have been singing together Hymn 105, which says "Life's short day will soon be over, Then we'll see the one we love - Fellowship divine forever, In the Father's home above." Today we witnessed that these were more than just words to Sally.

19 comments:

  1. Absolutely Beautiful. Love and Faith are so powerful, and may you all be at peace. Going HOME is a continuation of LIFE.

    All our Love and Appreciation,
    Leigh and Jill Purcell and kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so thankful to know that the spirit with which Sally accepted the first diagnosis has continued and will continue. You have both been such an inspiration and example to us. We love you both so much and wish things could be different but we understand that God's will is best and we will understand this even better some day. Ed and Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am moved by your choice to go Home. Thank you for the inspiration you have been. I have so much to say but yet nothing to say.

    I just want to give you a hug.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally and Dick,

    Lois forwarded the blog link to me here in Japan. It has been very nice to have been with you both - the times that we could, and feel that we should have been more support for you than we have, but want to let you know that we are glad for your choices to seek HEAVEN and HOME.

    Our Father knows and cares for each of his little ones.

    With our love,
    Dave and Lois Evans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted you to know we appreciate both of you - your example of faith and the spirit that both of you are manifesting. Love and in His care,
    Mel & Rudonna Pipgras

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Dick, Sally, and Family,
    Our thoughts are with you... May you continue to find peace, rest, and comfort in His arms.
    Love,
    Rita and Isaac (Annabel) Webb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for letting us in on this news. We're thinking of you and are thankful for your wonderful example of faith.

    With love,
    Roy and DeAnn Grady

    ReplyDelete
  8. We appreciate you blogs on Sally, Dick. I realize this is a difficult time for the family. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. I understand your feelings Sally saying " I want to go home home" after all you have been through these past days. This is what we are living for and you feeling God is calling you home and I like your response. We have found the path that leads us home. May we all help you through the coming days. With all our love and care, Ruth and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful to see such a beautiful spirit from both of you come from the ugly experience of cancer. Your willingness to share so much of your experience has meant so much to so many. Love, Heather, Brian, and Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though we're just now finding your blog, yall have been in our thoughts for a long time now.
    Just got the message yesterday of Sally's longing for Home. She's been a real encouragement. We hope her journey is peaceful. A worker once spoke about this journey Home, and said it was the "sunset of life". Sally has a most beautiful sunset.
    Our thoughts, prayers, and hearts are with you and your family.
    Love always,
    Kara Lawrence and Jamie Howard

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our Dear Dick & Sally ~ Friends
    All the years we known each other ~ when ever we got to be with you folks ~ There was always the Spirit of Love that Showed ! Yet Today this Love has Bonded God Children . We have Lots of Caring Love for you Sally & Dick &Family! To know Your Latest Experiences and the Strongest Strengths that Proves all this,Of the Many years of Days are not in Vain... Love that Song Pg 105 you Two sang together ~ Beautiful ! You are Forever in ourHeart mind & Soul!!
    God to Seen You Didck &Tim Sunday!! Love Ron & Sandy Burk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you both for all the Love and wisdom that you've offered me, and most of all for the encouragement that you continue to be. I don't have the words to express what you both mean to me and the strength I will always recieve from the example that you've set. With all the love in my heart from way too far away,

    Arthur A Clites

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Sally and Dick,

    Ann West just shared your blog post with me and I want to send my love. It doesn't seem so long ago Thelma and I had those meetings in Dillsburg fire hall and your little cowboy clunked his new boots all the way across that wooden floor. When I opened the door to memories so many of them came tumbling out but the most important thing of all is our abiding relationship with our father and our friend. Thinking of all of you and praying you know the deep consolation of God's nearness. With love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wish I could say a word which could comfort you as much as this blog has been a comfort to all who read it. It's like the five loaves and two fishes. Your faith is helping you and all of us too. We have a new take on the old sayings "There's no place like HOME", and HOME is where the heart is".
    Love, Sue & Ed Harper and family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our very dear and unforgettable friends, Sally and Dick,
    I don't see my previous message, so I send a new one...You are in our hearts and thoughts and prayer; wish we were nearer to share again good days with you as in the old days. But it is so encouraging to know that the best and sunniest days are ahead and awaiting us. Love and greetings from your friends in Athens,
    Constantine & Eva

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1st time in while I have come to blog. Was sadden by your news. Thank you for your faithfulness. Your in our thoughts & prayers & know God will guide you through final steps of journey, Thanks for keeping us updated Dick, know it has been difficult. appreciate last 2 ch Rev, Beautiful pic of what Sally & others have lived for. The New Jerusalum,home with God.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our hearts go out to you and Sally (and the rest of the family). Personally, I sincerely hope I have that measure of faith when the time comes. Inspirational doesn't even begin to describe your choices. Thank you for your example.

    With all our love, The Herr's
    (Otto, Rochelle, Harrison, Haley, & Isobel)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great set of pictures Dad!!! We all enjoyed checking them out!!! Lots of smiles and lots of love.

    Love you both!
    Sue and the crew.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great set of pictures Dad!!! We all enjoyed checking them out!!! Lots of smiles and lots of love.

    Love you both!
    Sue and the crew.

    ReplyDelete